What can a college advisor help with?
Academic advisors provide intensive advising support through regular contact with their advisees. Advisors help students explore their academic interests, identify resources for additional information and support, and develop plans of study appropriate for their educational goals.
What questions should I ask a college advisor?
Questions to Ask Your Advisor
- How flexible is this major?
- What classes are required for this major (Math, foreign language, etc)?
- What skills will this major help me develop?
- How many classes should I take every semester?
- What kind of careers can I pursue with a degree in this major?
When should you contact your student advisor?
Meet Your Academic College Advisor At Least Once a Semester
Experts recommend that students meet with their college academic advisors at least once a semester. However, you may meet with your college academic advisor or email them as often as you like. Contact them whenever you think you need their help or guidance.
Are college advisors free?
What CollegeAdvisor.com services are available for free? We offer a free, powerful web app designed to help you keep track of your applications, view all essay requirements, and track progress.
What should I ask a college student?
Questions to Ask Current Students
- Why did you pick to attend this college?
- What was your freshman experience like?
- Do you feel there’s a good support / transition program for freshman students?
- What is your favorite thing about this college? …
- Where is your favorite study place on campus?
- Favorite place to eat?
How do I talk to an advisor?
Make the most of this valuable conversation by using the suggestions below.
- Understand their role. …
- Advisors will expect you to initiate contact, and it is best to do so early. …
- Take responsibility for your course schedule. …
- Do your research and be prepared. …
- Be honest.
- Explore your career options.
What should I ask at an admitted student day?
6 Questions to Ask at Admitted Students Days
- What is your school’s freshman retention rate? …
- Who teaches undergraduate classes? …
- How does your college help prepare students for careers or graduate school? …
- What is the job placement rate for graduates? …
- What has your experience as a student been like at this school?
How many times should you visit with your academic advisor?
It is recommended that students meet with an academic advisor once a semester. Students should come to their advising meeting with a list of questions to ask and a reasonable understanding of their degree and major requirements.
How do I email my student advisor?
Always start out your email with a polite “Dear” or “Hello” followed by your professor’s name/title (Dr. XYZ, Professor XYZ, etc.). If you’re not sure what their proper title is, using “Professor” followed by their last name is almost always a safe bet.
What should I ask the transfer counselor?
10 Questions You Should Ask Your Transfer Advisor
- How will my credits transfer specifically for my major? …
- How will I fit into the University life here? …
- Can the school help me financially? …
- How many other students on campus are transfers? …
- Are there any resources on campus for transfer students?