How do ESL students paraphrase?
Key strategies for paraphrase
- Read the portion of text you want to paraphrase.
- Make sure you understand it.
- After you’ve read the text, make notes of what you read, without using the author’s words or structure.
- Using only your notes, write all of the important ideas of the text using own words.
Why is summarizing important for ELL students?
Summarizing helps ELs develop their thinking skills because they are making connections between details. … Summarizing is also a required skill of academic achievement because it helps ELs construct comprehension. Since this mental move is highly complex, the responsibility to explicitly teach it belongs to educators.
What are the steps in summarizing?
What are the steps in summarizing a text?
- Read and understand the text carefully.
- Think about the purpose of the text. …
- Select the relevant information.
- Find the main ideas – what is important.
- Change the structure of the text.
- Rewrite the main ideas in complete sentences.
- Check your work.
What are the summarizing techniques?
Strategies for summarizing
- Select a short passage (about one to four sentences) that supports an idea in your paper.
- Read the passage carefully to fully understand it.
- Take notes about the main idea and supporting points you think you should include in your summary.
What is paraphrasing ESL?
Paraphrasing is to express someone else’s ideas in your own words without changing the original meaning. Paraphrasing involves replacing words, restructuring sentences and rewriting the information in your own words.
Is paraphrasing a reading or writing skill?
Paraphrasing is a valuable skill in writing, especially when it comes to academic or research papers. When you paraphrase, you rewrite the information using your words while preserving the overall meaning of the text. It’s a great practice in workplace settings where you need to communicate effectively through writing.
How do I learn to paraphrase?
- Decide what the key information is, for the purposes of your discussion.
- Change the order of the ideas and the words. …
- Change the word form/grammatical form if necessary.
- Use synonyms if appropriate, but do not change any specific terminology.
How is summarizing helpful to students?
Why use summarizing? It helps students learn to determine essential ideas and consolidate important details that support them. It enables students to focus on key words and phrases of an assigned text that are worth noting and remembering.
What is the second goal of summarizing?
A summary has two aims: (1) to reproduce the overarching ideas in a text, identifying the general concepts that run through the entire piece, and (2) to express these overarching ideas using precise, specific language.
What is the importance of summary?
Writing a summary is an important skill that students will use throughout their academic careers. In addition, summarizing improves reading skills as students pick out the main ideas of a reading; it also helps with vocabulary skills as students paraphrase a reading, altering the vocabulary and grammar as they do so.